Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Poem Prompt: Stuck

My eyes aren't opening.
I'm stuck in this daze.
I'm nauseous, I'm spinning.
My feet are flat, but not on the ground.
I reach out in front of me,
all I touch is a puff of nothing.
I can turn around to see what I just saw
through my closed eyelids.
It all looks the same,
but is so mind-numbingly overwhelming.
There's a ring in my ear.
I can't make sense of anything.
I huddle up, lost.

I feel a hand wrap around my wrist.
I blink--
once, twice--
I can open my eyes.
And I can clearly see her.
Her short black curls and full pink lips;
her pale rose wrap dress drapes over her.
She doesn't have much height but stands tall;
her copper brown fingers tighten on my wrist. 
Her dark brown eyes look down on me;
she scoffs.
My gaze darts--
what's so funny?
She starts to cackle.
I'm scared.

She laughs louder, leaning over.
Her laugh overtakes the ringing.
It's so mocking--degrading.
I try to scoot away,
but I bump into another of her--
also laughing.
They're identical
with the same dehumanizing glint in their eyes.
I swallow and shake.
I try to crawl away
and I'm kicked. 
Right in the side and I tumble over. 
I look over--it's another her.
I look down at myself
and see two copper brown legs 
sticking out of a pale rose dress.
I freeze.

Another her sees me sitting there
and puts her hand on my shoulder.
I look at her and watch her laugh.
The similarities were
scary.
I pulled away from her grip and ran.
Four others were there waiting,
ready to push me back.
There are more behind me--
they encompass me.
Dozens of them;
more and constantly appearing.
I'm stuck.
I fall down.
And I just want to
cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment