Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Overthinking

Funny. I was originally gonna write this almost a month ago. But I gave it a second thought--then a third, and a fourth, and a fifth--and decided not to. But, I'm in a special place in my life right now. I don't know the right word for it, but I just feel like picking up everything I've given up in the past month and seeing how far I can push it.
So, here we are. Overthinking.
So often, humans have aspirations. There are things they want to achieve and reach by the end of their lifetimes. Something like becoming rich or having lots of kids or giving back to a community. Even in a more casual sense, they want to achieve little goals. It could be just making new friends or stepping outside their comfort zones. We make these goals, take the step towards it, and aim to strive.
But, however, we often wind up being our own worst enemies. Through doubt or fear, we shrink our own egos, put hesitation in ourselves and overcomplicate what should be simple tasks. Many people deal with this issue, in many different forms. And the one I'm most familiar with is the one and only: overthinking.
Instead of just doing what I want to do, I'll sit and think about various outcomes, some overdramatically tragic. I'll debate with myself how I could affect others. Usually, this thought process spirals so out of character and context, I might as well be imagining Mean Girls 2. And--it scares me. I'll scare myself out of moving forward with certain tasks, especially social ones. I'll overthink and blow it all way out of proportion and now have to summon back up even an ounce of courage.
But, one thing I noticed, is that I only overthink certain situations. I'm not a really anxious person(it's debatable), I just care more about certain scenarios than others. For example, let's say we have one of my closest friends and a person who I have a few feelings for. Then, let's say I'm trying to ask both to call for whatever reason. I'm able to ask the former without really thinking about it and the phone call will flow naturally and make easy conversation. The latter, however, will require me gathering up some courage and going over what I plan on saying several times. What took barely a minute in a situation I was comfortable was needlessly drawled out when I wasn't.
So? The takeaway?
Like a lot of people, I overthink when I'm uncomfortable. Maybe it's an attempt at a coping method, but due to its lack of efficiency, it flops under that label. But, I've acknowledged this a little bit more in recent times. When my brain goes off, thinking about what could quite literally never happen, instead of letting it scare me, I notice it. I'll see myself flare up and recognize my own discomfort. It helps me to realize that I'm spiraling and to imagine myself in a more familiar situation. Though it's won't be the same, it helps to calm me and help me focus.
However, in favor of all honesty, there are times when overthinking still does cripple me a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment