Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Poem Prompts: Illogical

For the first part: Unknown
For the second part: Orb

Pacing back and forth, 
Dennis was losing his mind.
"You have singlehandedly
defied all matters of physics
that I have spent my life learning."
he said.
He also said the glass was meant to break.
If I had thrown a rock,
both the glass and the orb should've shattered.
But the glass remained unharmed
and the orb was simply cracked.

"Maybe the orb has something inside;
that would explain the glow."
But looking at the orb,
I couldn't recognize it.
It was just a bright blue
perfectly spherical
orb
that was cracked.

"I know a guy.
He works with strange phenomenons,
he'll be our best lead."
Dennis held out his hand--
he was waiting for the bottle.
But I felt an attraction to it
and couldn't let go of it.
I held it close to my chest and shook my head.

Irritated, Dennis grabbed at it.
I flinched.
I don't know why I was being so illogical.
I had gone to him for help.
Yet here I was, denying him.
A voice in my head whispered to me,
it told me to hold on to the bottle,
to protect the orb.

"It's dying," I cried.
Blinking, I tried to figure out why I said this.
It felt as though someone had grabbed the reins
and was talking through me.
Again, involuntarily, I opened my mouth,
"Let me save the orb.
The orb, it needs me."
I swallowed what I could of my words,
looked at Dennis,
then ran.

My mind was so clouded,
all I could focus on was getting to the shore.
It was midday--
other people were out and about.
Many of them looked sideways at me.
A girl sprinting down the road must have been so unsightly.
I even ran into my cousin,
right into him, in fact.
We both paused and groaned in pain.
But before I could say anything to him,
I was off running again.
Mother will not be pleased.

I kept going.
Even when someone snickered at me--
or something bit at my ankle--
or a stick prodded at my heel--
I just kept going.
I slowed down once I reached the beach.
And my mind finally cleared up.
And I felt the pain.
I doubled over, unable to recall why I'd come.
While I groaned, Dennis caught up.
He was yelling at me,
berating me for my stupidity.
He grabbed the bottle and started dragging me home.

Then, I heard a siren.
Soft, lulling music coming from the ocean,
"Come, child. Be with us. We need you."
I ripped my arm from Dennis
and ran closer.
Dennis followed, but I only sped up.
But;
"No, child. The orb. It's dying. 
We need help. We need you."
I turned to Dennis, but I couldn't see him.
I only saw red, with a small, blue glowing orb.
I had to have that orb.

No comments:

Post a Comment