Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Poem Prompt: Allure

"I don't even deserve you," she sings, knowing very well it was the wrong way.

"Yet here you are with me."

When I look into her grayed eyes I see the eye of the hurricane

that has tormented me for years.

Every blasted storm I've ever been caught in--

they all cease at her command.

My sense of reality crumbles apart and every worry fades into

the slight lines that align the sides of her smile.

So then tell me why is that when I leave her side

eveything comes back.

Life cracks its whip at me again and I fear what I could do to her.

I try to warn her--I do.

But her laughing snort is so enticing,

so encapsing, so alluring.

I fall apart when I hear it and I ask myself,

"How could you ever think of abandoning her?"

And I know she deserves better,

but she says she wants me and I'm sure as hell she doesn't want pain.

So I promise I'll make myself better, if not for me, 

then to protect her.

No comments:

Post a Comment