Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Sun

The sun and I have a very...on and off relationship. 
I can remember being a little kid, still calling it "Mr. Sun" and asking him to promise to come out tomorrow. When Mr. Sun was out, my neighborhood friends and I could go outside and play. If it rained, I would look out the window and beg him to return. No, I never worshipped him. To me, the idea of a Mr. Sun has always been just a mind fantasy. I still enjoyed talking to him. But Mr. Sun was like an imaginary friend that I could almost always just walk outside and see. I believe it was my very first friend who introduced the idea of Mr. Sun to me. He taught me a song, a car song, "Oh Mr. Sun, Sun--Mr. Golden Sun! Please, shine down on me!" I learned it and joined him in talking to the sun, eventually doing it myself. So like, Mr. Sun and I's golden days together.
Got a little older, I kinda hated the sun. I was in a sort of edgy teenager phase...but as an eight-year-old... He reminded me of the joy I had while living in my former house just a year prior. Even the notion of Mr. Sun reminded me of my old friend who I knew I'd never see again. I associated Mr. Sun with my old life and tried to throw him away with it. I took solace in the rain and never really enjoyed recess that school year. I didn't make friends so it was easy to just sit by the teacher and sulk in the sunlight. I essentially just dumped Mr. Sun because I was sad.
Grew up a bit more, I stopped seeing the sun. I was no longer angry, I just stopped going outside as much. Even in school, recess was often skipped or we stayed in a shadier area. I wasn't upset over it, I really didn't even notice. I was too busy diving into technology for the first time. I got my first tablet in the fourth grade and started entertaining myself indoors. I used to only use cards and board games on rainy days, but they got boring. Now, I had a better replacement with even more options. I basically tried to rebound from Mr. Sun.
After a while, I started to miss the sun. Middle school started and a few classes started requiring a bit of effort to get an A. Stress started. With it, I began to miss elementary and thought back to when I would spend hours outside every day. I remembered my first friends, our talks, and my love for Mr. Sun. So, I found some time to go out. Not too far, I just went out and said hello for the first time in a while. He was still really nice. I didn't have much to say, I just sat in the grass and basked in his light. Mr. Sun was more than willing to take me back, and his kindness was amazing, and something I didn't expect.
After some more time, it started becoming impossible to get time just to be with Mr. Sun. I spend all my time inside now. I just always have something to do. And if I'm not doing that thing, I'm moping or thinking about how I should get up and do that thing. I mean, I could always go say hi again--I do--but I can't spend hours with him like I used to. It just doesn't feel like a moment is what he deserves. Man, I'm a really terrible friend to Mr. Sun.

I know this Thought was kinda different, but so was the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment