Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Poem Prompt: Goodbye

Goodbye to my friend.
My heart is shattered and
I've never cried so hard--
I swear I tried so hard.

Goodbye to my best friend.
He's the one who would listen
on stormy nights, when neither of us
had the strength to stand up.

Goodbye to my lover.
My treasure, it's over
between us cause this
has spiraled to shit.

Goodbye to my other half.
We're drowning in the aftermath
of the words that we said
when we weren't using our heads.

Goodbye to the fantasy.
Used to dream carelessly
of us in the apple tree,
kissing from nine to three.

Goodbye to my blind eye.
Now I see, in hindsight,
how dumb could I be
for you to make me believe
you'd quit for our relationship--
longer than a minute.
You held it for a minute--
and then you let go,
running back home.

Goodbye to our lives.
I held on with my life.
Turns out I only liked
what I thought you were like.

So, goodbye to this man.
Before me, he stands,
filling up the place
where my love used to stay.
Now it's just him
and his cold bitterness.
Goodbye, I say,
and throw his things away.



No comments:

Post a Comment