Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Poem Prompt: Take a Break

Take a break.

But I can't, not with this pile of to-dos.

Every second feels endless,

almost like I'm running on a loop.

How could I possibly even think

of putting down my pen and kicking up my feet?

There's a deadline on the calendar

8 am sharp next week.

Everything feels so out of my league,

way out of my caliber.

Take a break.

She says to me each time

I complain of never getting to sleep at night.

The bags grow under my eyes

as the energy within me dies.

I can no longer fight,

so I simply give up.

I've tried and I've tried.

It's time to raise the white flag, enough's enough.

I rest, despite my still full plate

and I wake up by daybreak.

The sun's rays are in my face

by the crack of dawn.

They sing as I yawn

not of exhaustion--but of relief.

I return to my desk and my overflowing planner

and have my seat and continue the chapter.

Tiktok

WattPad

Twitter

Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment