Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Forgot - Poem Prompt

"Sorry, I forgot."
I'm not mad at you for it, truly.
I understand a failing memory.
It never wants to work properly,
important dates always slipping--
I get it.
But when I ask you to be there for me--
when I ask you to be here with me--
when I'm expecting you to reach out your arm
and lend me a hand. 
Can't you put a little bit more effort in?
"I'll remember next time."
No, no you won't.
And I'm sorry if that comes off as cynical,
but when I'm in need of something critical,
I'm not gonna turn to someone
who can't be bothered to even properly cancel.
When you can't look me in my eye
and tell me why you can't show up for me,
I won't turn around and ask you to 
when I can't afford you not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment