Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

My Hair

I speak on my hair a lot. Like, a lot. It's a huge focus in my life right now because I am a little over a year into growing it out and I'm still learning about how to care for it. I've picked up a few habits and dropped a lot of them. I've started braiding and twisting my hair on my own and practiced parting on my sister a few good times. Yet, despite all this, the most important thing I wish I could tell my old self is to stop idolizing the hair community. It has done wonders for me in introducing me to new brands, new products, new methods, new styles, etc. But it's also shoved damaging traps in my face and me, being a baby natural, fell for it. 
Beauty bloggers will hype up things that I've either already personally canceled or am hesitant to try due to what I know about my hair. I am low porosity, high density, type 4b-4c with finer individual strands. Thick sealants are something I actively stay away from and I dislike when people ask why I don't use heavy oils or thick leave-ins. Especially coconut oil. My God, coconut oil is like the natural hair holy grail, but it's never been good for my hair. Coconut oil was probably my first lesson in learning how to cater my routine to my hair wants and needs, not to what's popular.
My second lesson was in protective styles. I know that wash n' go's, twist outs, knot outs, puffs, etc. are all extremely cute and extremely trendy. Lots of long-haired type 4 girls love wearing this style to show off their special gift. And I get it, I really do. The first thing I did once my hair started growing back was attempt--and finally achieve--two puffs. But to maintain these kinds of styles on my hair meant constant detangling, stretching, and fluffing. In that order and when made a routine, these three things lead to major breakage for me. I'm not sure if it's due to leftover processing damage or my finer strands--or maybe my strands are fine because of processing damage(dun, dun, dunnnn)--but I know it's a bad choice for my hair. I only touch my hair once every 3-4 weeks because I try to keep it in protective styles. Sure, I use colored hair for it, but I find my hair tends to grow, color or no color. I refuse to use any heat right now because I also had a couple doses of heat damage. This includes blow-drying, combing, and deep conditioning. I plan on hitting two years natural before I include heat in my deep conditioning routine. I know it might be paranoia, but it works. My hair has grown so much recently, and I can't wait to check it when I take out my twists this weekend for wash day.
So, the segway? For any other naturals out there--baby or veteran--learn your hair. No one's hair is the same and your strands will never grow unless your routine is for your strands.

No comments:

Post a Comment