Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Poem Prompt: Dizzy

I took her hand, I held it tight.
I smiled and followed her feet--
she ran in a circle, I ran in a circle.
We ran and ran, laughing and crying
until we felt
dizzy.
I fell.
We would do this every day
back when we had time.
But then we didn't,
so instead we did this whenever we saw each other,
which was often enough.
We still ran and ran.
Then she got another job--
and another, and another, and another--
so we had no time left.
I didn't want to bother her, 
she only did her best.
I ran in circles on my own until I felt
dizzy.
I fell.
She still held my hand sometimes,
and lead me to some places.
One day though, she let go--
she let go all the time really.
But normally she'd look back, wave at me, assure she was returning.
This time:
nothing.
She simply let go of my hand--
and took someone else's.
I didn't know what to do or how to respond,
so I waited for her.
Days, weeks, I sat there waiting, hoping.
For what? I was never really sure.
I just sat out there until I felt
dizzy.
I fell.
Hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment