Uchenna, Writer, Engineering Student

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Fifth Lovely

Quickly, the three of us got through the morning. I knew they could sense my haste, and honestly, I only hoped it made them more aware of their speed. They didn't make much progress in the quarter of an hour I took to make six breakfast sandwiches. It was a little disheartening to see how little effort they put into it. Still, I brushed it off and joined them, ensuring the kitchen was spotless within an hour. We all took a break to eat and I took the time to explain the day's game plan. It was around eleven in the morning when we ate, and I hoped for the whole house to be in tip-top shape by three. Then, they would be allowed to leave the house, play, and do whatever until five. I dramatically emphasized it, five o'clock sharp, both of them were to be in their rooms and getting dressed in whatever I picked out. Five-forty-five, they should both be cleaned and dressed and would sit quietly in their rooms. Appetizers would be ready and the doorbell would ring at six.
When I finished explaining, they both seemed a little taken aback. Couro hesitantly nodded and finished her second sandwich. Gora just looked at me, a small glint in his eye and muttered, "So we meet the broom in person now?" Flustered, I hushed him and quickly gorged my remaining food. The two of them soon finished and we all returned to working. Couro mostly dealt with the bedrooms, Gora took the halls and bathrooms, and I cleaned the sitting room and kitchen. We lived in a relatively small house, but it was just the three of us and the bedrooms were surprisingly large, so we didn't need much space.
And honestly, my two kids rocked. Our house was literally shining a few minutes to two. I praised and hugged them so much, Couro had to remind me of the schedule. I bought them pizza as a reward, wiped the table spotless afterwards, and the two went off. Couro still told me everywhere she went, so she admitting to visiting a neighborhood friend--whose parents I actually knew quite well--but Gora kind of just headed off. He did so pretty often these days, just up and leaving without a word on where he was going. Sometimes, I wouldn't even know when he left. I tried to not let it bother me as he was turning eighteen soon, but it did.
The two hours passed by quickly. I'd prepped some egg salad and picked out clothes for the two. Everything was ready and Couro was home five minutes early and rushed to go upstairs and get ready. Gora, however, strolled in about eight minutes late and it took everything in me to not tear him apart. I reminded myself that that it wasn't the end of the world and moved on. By six, everything was ready and we were back on schedule. I was simply sitting on the couch waiting for the ring. Nervously, I hopped around on the couch, desperate to not leave an imprint.
The minutes passed by. The clock ticked. Couro came down to question me. Gora came to complain. I only told them to be patient. So we were. Tik-tok. Tik-tok. Nothing. It was after seven and I'd almost lost hope when--ring! Excitedly, I jumped off the couch, straightened any possible indents, and bounced over to the door. Opening it, a pair of smiling azure eyes looked up at me.
"Sorry," she mumbled as she walked in, "something came up and I couldn't make it until now." Honestly, I was shocked. Nicki hadn't striked me as the type to be this late. Maybe a few minutes, but a whole hour? Unannounced too? Gora already looked unhappy but I just shrugged it off and welcomed her into my home.
Honestly, she was stunning. Nicki looked as though she'd tried to dress up, but gave up at just the right moment and put on just the right "lazy" clothes. Her lips were a hypnotizing purple, her hair was in a complimentary half bun, and her sweats fell into the cuffs of her wedges perfectly. I led her to the couch, fully ready for whatever conversation she had in store. She sat down and went rambling off, entirely way too fast for me to really keep up. I attempted, I really did, but only caught snippets of her discussing doll auctions. Most of the terminology was unfamiliar to me, but I couldn't find the right place to intervene and ask. Somewhere in the middle of it, I felt Couro on my arm, so I whispered over to her to bring the egg salad for her to eat.
As Nicki talked, a plate was brought before her and she gasped with delight. "Why, thank you!" she exclaimed, at a much slower pace. Not only did she accept the salad, but she also cupped Couro's face in her hands, a small glint in her blue eyes. "Samba, is this your daughter?" Before I could answer, Nicki hoisted Couro onto her lap and start cooing her. Couro bit her tongue. Yes, she was a child, but entirely way too old for that sort of treatment. I coughed several times to try and break it up, but to no avail.
"Couro," I spoke up finally. "This is Nicolette."
She laughed, "I've been admiring your princess so much, I've forgotten to even introduce myself!" Couro smiled and held out her hand. Instead, Nicki only awed and pinched her cheeks. "And your son? I don't believe I've seen him yet."
"Oh, don't worry," I waved her off. "He'll come out when he's ready."
Nicki grinned and sat Couro next to her. "In that case, I should reveal the main reason I came!" Ecstatic, she dived into a huge, light brown, leather handbag and pulled out a box. It was beautifully wrapped in pink, yellow and purple polka dots on black and sported a sparkling holographic bow. As I watched her hand it to Couro, I felt myself relax knowing she was finally about to win her over. "This is for you, princess." My little girl was taken aback as she held the box and bit her lip excitedly. I ran to go fetch a waste bin for her, and while returning, I caught sight of Gora watching from the shadows of the hall.
I returned and set the bin up before Couro, and sat by her side. Nicki looked at me, then the box, and giggled. She scampered over to me and covered my eyes. "Alright, princess, open up!" I fidgeted in the dark, hanging onto the ripping of paper, waiting for the pause. There it was. No one said anything and Nicki rested her chin on my head, waiting for Couro's response. Nothing. Nothing moved for entirely too long.
Then, one more rip of paper.
Then, a shriek.

No comments:

Post a Comment